Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Eliot's Accident :(

We have another story to add to the Jackson book of accidents.  About 2 weeks ago Eliot managed to partially amputate his left index finger.  Yes, partially amputate!  It was a freak accident that happened when he was at my feet...literally!  Eli, Mr. Tim (local mower man) & I were standing there and not one of us saw it happen.  A normal Thursday morning turned into a trip to Cincinnati Children's where Eliot was put under and his finger was put back together again.

I didn't have a camera with me that day but here he is the next day or so.  They left the tip open but I had to cover it because he wasn't about to be slowed down!  I was nervous he would get it infected.

I'll spare you the details but his finger nail was completely off and had to be sewn back on.  It was so bad that when we got to the hospital I couldn't watch while they examined him.  Eliot was such a trooper and took it all in stride.

He was VERY quickly back to his normal routine of playing outside and getting in on the action with the kids.  He just didn't use that hand.  At first we laughed because he wouldn't even use it to eat!  Soon, it was just normal for him and he forgot about the injury.

The following photos are compliments of Eli...my photographer on the scene!  On day 7 we had to visit orthopedics at the hospital.  They soaked off the bandage to see how it was healing.  For some reason Eliot was not happy unless his finger was covered with this towel.  I guess it felt safe since it had been covered for the last week.

This is what would happen if you uncovered it!  To me it still looked pretty gross.

Eli took pictures of EVERYTHING in the room!  Poor thing was bored...we were there 2 hours!  Thankfully Eliot didn't have any fractures.

I told you he was bored.  I'll keep the 10 other random pictures he took for the archives :)

At this point Eliot was exhausted!  We waited for an hour to be seen that day and once they soaked off his bandage he just wanted to leave.  He very quickly fell asleep on the ride home.

I was completely shocked when the doctor looked at me and said, "His finger is completely healed.  He won't lose the tip and he can take a bath and do normal activites.  At this age it only takes 1 week for the skin to heal and he's good to go!"  Really?  Are you sure?  I was hesitant for the first couple of days but he was right, totally healed!  Praise be to God :)