It was 1 year ago on March 17th that Elese was diagnosed with celiac disease. I'm including a picture so that you can see how sick this sweet baby really was. She was 20 months old in the picture and weighed a mere 17lbs. While Elese is doing much better, the road to total recovery is LONG. At her follow up appointment last week, we found out that her blood work tests negative for autoimmune hepatitis but her liver biopsy looks just like autoimmune hepatitis. Hmmm... In order to give her liver a "break", we need to put her back on steroids. Yesterday she started 3 weeks of steroids at which point we will redo her blood work to see if her liver enzymes have returned to normal. Be prepared that in upcoming pictures she will be very bloated looking and her face will look really swollen.
Developmentally Elese is doing SUPER! Scott & I laugh all the time at how her personality is turning out. She is very much like Emery was at 2 years old...which makes her very hard to parent at times! She wants to do everything by herself, outgoing, is full of energy and can be reduced to tears very quickly! Just yesterday while I was getting ready for a date, she said, "I'm thirsty" and proceeded to go into their bathroom, get her Dixie cup, run back into my bathroom and turn on the bathtub to get herself a drink. Mind you she was very proud of herself too. Every day is filled with funny stories like this! Such a sweet girl and I promise you that we will make it through all the obstacles that her illness sends our way. Thank you for all of your prayers for Elese.
