Saturday, March 3, 2012

Little White Bunny

This is a memory that I do not want to forget.  Life goes by so quickly and the sweetest moments make my heart swell.  For most of you this story won't stir your heart, but for this Momma, it's priceless!

Emery bounds off the bus on Friday with something white in her hand.  "Momma, look at my little white bunny!"  It was a tiny little bunny that she had chosen from the Token Bin at school.  I looked down and saw the bunny but what I remember vividly was the smile on her face.  She adored this tiny bunny!  I'm tearing up now thinking of God's love and how he has gifted her with such a great heart.  Even at 7 years old she is filled to the brim with a mothering instinct.  At bedtime she wanted me to feel the softness of her little white bunny.

All of this is rushing back to me because I just went in to check on Emery before I went to bed and there on her floor she has created a bed for this bunny...just like any mother would do.  I'm remembering something she asked me today as I was preparing lunch.  I approached the fridge and I noticed that she was standing there with a snack baggie that had carrots in it.  "Mom, what do rabbits eat?"  "Well, carrots and I think grass as they are hopping along."  I didn't even realize why she was asking or put 2 and 2 together...I know, slow down and enjoy these moments!  She turned and walked away and I went on preparing lunch.

As I glanced down at the little bunny in the bed that Emery has prepared I see the little baggie with both carrots & blades of grass.  Such a nurturer at heart.  I'd be lying if I didn't mention that I feel guilty for not giving the little white bunny more attention.  I truly had no idea how much it meant to her.  I'm reminded of that song by Alan Jackson where it says,  "Faith, hope & love are some good things He gave us, and the greatest is love."  Love God, love others, love, love, love...it's all that really matters!