Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Michigan Adventure (Part 1)

Last week Emery was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend a gluten free summer camp in Michigan.  Since it was so far away, we decided to make it our annual camping trip and go along to be near her.  It took us a little over 5 hours to get to Gun Lake but the drive was worth it. 

Here's a shot of Gun Lake from our beach.  It is so beautiful!

This is the view to the left of our beach.

An exciting thing happened while we were there.  Eli was given his first knife from Scott.  He was really excited and he and Scott have been talking about getting this knife for a while now.  Check out Eliot in the background!

A "man moment"...a funny side story about this knife.  Eli dropped the knife in the lake one night while he, Grandaddy and Scott were fishing.  It was an extreme moment to say the least...Eli was really upset!  Luckily they were fishing in the shallow water and after some looking, were able to find it.

Grandma, Grandaddy, Emery & Eli headed up to Michigan on Sunday.  They dropped Emery off at camp and then headed to Gun Lake nearby.  For 2 days Eli had the grandparents all to himself!  During this time Grandma bought Eli this boat.  I was a little surprised since she's so nervous around water.

Then I saw how she managed it...the rope!  Eli had a ball in this boat.  Grandma was relaxed because she could pull him back at any moment.

Guess who is helping Grandma with the boat?  Elese had it all under control once we arrived on Tuesday.

Elese's favorite thing to do was roll around in the sand and then run and jump in the lake.

This waterlily was so beautiful I had to take a picture.

Late afternoon and here's our set up.  We spent most of our time hanging out at the beach and fishing. Fishing was among the favorite activities.

Any chance Eli got he was widdling sticks with his new knife.  He thoroughly enjoyed using his knife on different things.

Elese rolling around in the sand again.

Eli really improved his fishing skills that week.  He's a master caster and caught several fish.

My boys!

Eliot got his chance to try out the boat.  He would climb in and out and drag the ores around.

I was really amazed at how well Elese & Eli took to the lake.  I wasn't sure they would swim but they LOVED it!

Chasing in the sand.

Grandma helping her red head get a drink of water.

This is one of the bigger fish that Eli caught.

Eliot loved the freedom we gave him at our cabin.  He was able to go out the door and crawl around on the deck.  I'm taking this shot from inside while he was out there roaming around.

One morning Grandma & Grandaddy took Eli horse back riding.  It was an hour long ride through the woods and Eli rode by himself the entire time.

Giddy up Grandma!  Grandma went on the trail ride with him.  I'm sure it's an experience he'll remember forever.

Fun in the sand!

I had to laugh at this.  We called Aunt Michelle to wish her a happy birthday.  This is Elese talking to her.  She's really turned into a talker on the phone lately!  Yes, she's wearing that dress up at the beach...are you surprised?

Our first camp fire!  A little smoky but it worked for smores. :)

Father & Son

My only complaint about the trip was the mosquitoes!  Honestly, I have never seen them like they were there.  Grandaddy has a fogger that helped out a bunch.  Grandma was fogging so we could make smores.

Yummy!

I finally made it into a picture!  Eliot LOVED everything about the smores...the chocolate was his favorite.

How cute is this?

My girl & me...

More widdling...I told you he was busy with that knife!